File sharing via the BitTorrent protocol is an easy and convenient way to get the desired content for free. But is it legal to download torrents? Well, though the word “torrent” is frequently associated with something illicit or immoral, in fact, it is not similar to the piracy. Millions of users just share their own files using BitTorrent, instead of downloading them directly from servers. That said, it is important to download torrents correctly in order to avoid problems with the law and protect your computer. Read on to know how to download torrents and make the most of this unique technology.
How to Download Torrents Safely
Basically, to download torrents you need just two things: a torrent client and a stable Internet connection. But we also recommend installing a good antivirus and a VPN client. The first one will help you to protect your PC from infected files, and the latter one will ensure your privacy on the web. The torrent downloading process includes several simple steps:
- Choose a torrent site. They are also known as torrent trackers. Use an on-site search to find the needed file. It’s recommended to modify an IP-address using VPN, as your ISP can track your actions on the web and block an access to torrens even if you aren’t going to break the law.
- Download the torrent file or, as an alternative, a magnet link. The file itself is small and lightweight, as it doesn’t contain video, audio, or images. All it contains is information of where to get the content. Using this information, the torrent client will be able to download torrents online.
- Open the file in the client. Interface can be slightly different in different programs, but it is simple anyway. After that, select the location on your PC where you want your file to be saved and start the torrent download process.
- As soon as the download is completed, scan the file for malware. If no threats are detected, you can use it. There is an unspoken rule: don’t close the program immediately. Let other participants (peers) of the torrent network get a fraction of the file from your PC.
How to Download Torrents Faster
Using torrents is a convenient but not very fast method of content obtaining. If you want to boost the download speed, try to do the following:
- Opt for the torrents with the maximum number of seeders. A seeder is a user who is sharing the file. The number of seeder for every file is usually shown on a torrent tracker site.
- Try not to download many files at a time. The best strategy is to load files one by one.
- Check the speed of Internet connection. If necessary, buy a premium plan from your Internet services provider.
Torrenting is an advanced and effective way of file sharing, especially when you know how to download torrents quickly and safely. Now you know it.